Total Pageviews

Monday, April 20, 2020

4/20/2017-2 Unpopular Take - Too Much Trump at the Briefings

I like chocolate ice cream. No lie. But I don't eat it three times a day and four times on weekends. Too much of a good thing becomes a not such a good thing.

A couple of weeks ago the Wall Street Journal editorialized that President Trump should cut back his participation in the Coronavirus Task Force's Daily Briefings. They weren't wrong. He goes on and on for far too long. It gets redundant, monotonous, and boring, all at the same time. A paying audience would be checking their watches: 'What time is dinner?' A politician who's become boring to one of even his strongest supporters has a problem. If you ask me, he should participate no more than twice a week: maybe on Wednesdays and Sundays, or something like that. And I'd make the Wednesday briefing technical in nature and take reporter's questions. If it lasts two hours to get through the questions, so be it. On Sunday, I'd make it more of a conversation with the American people about how they're doing, with the focus on providing reassurance and encouragement.

That's what I think. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment