Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 19, 2020

12/19/2020 - The Mask and the Vaccine

 

If I gotta wear a mask, I like this one.
 

The night before last I posed a question on my Facebook. I was asking for input on wearing of masks AFTER one has been administered the vaccine. And as one might expect, there was some of the usual political back and forth that gets us nowhere and just delineates where people have their heels dug in, so to speak. The answer from a post-vaccine mask advocate I found most honest was, paraphrasing, that we should wear them for a few more months so that other people feel safer when they're out by seeing us in masks. It's funny, because when I first started wearing the mask, I had my doubts about wearing it, but felt that if by doing so at a minimum the people around me felt safer, I wasn't going to fight the issue. Especially, in as much as I wasn't confident in taking either side of that debate myself and feeling fully justified in taking it.

But as I thought about it, some of what has transpired since the pandemic started began to bother me. First it was 15 days to flatten the curve. That was about 9 month ago now. And in the interim, we've had closures, openings, re-closures, etc. And as much as I am NOT a denier, none of that stuff, I've never been fully sold on the arguments for or against any of the measures. My gut has told me from the start, and still tells me, that they really don't know, and that they're really playing it by ear and learning as they go... as we go. But one thing that has been held out again and again, we have ALL heard it, is, "Just until there's a vaccine." And now the goal posts have moved again. Now it's, "Now that there's a vaccine, just a few more months." Jeeze!

Yesterday I had a minor issue I needed looked at by an eye doctor. They were nice and got me right in. The technician was very nice. In making small talk, when I took my eyeglasses off, I said that they were all fogged up because of my mask anyway. And I said I was lucky I'm retired and didn't have to wear it day in and day out like she and other people working in so many jobs do. I told her that I thought once I get the vaccine that I won't have to wear it anymore, but now I'm hearing maybe a few more months AFTER we get vaccinated, so that people aren't scared. And she said, "Once we get  the vaccine, I'm not wearing the mask. If they're scared to be around me after I've been vaccinated because I'm not wearing a mask, they just need to stay home." I think those were her exact words. You know what? She's 100% right.

If she's not right, then what the fuck is the vaccine for, anyway? I'm not saying I won't wear a mask. I'm not saying I won't get the vaccine. But what the fuck? Does the shit work or not? Feels like this last moving of the goal posts is a bit to far, taking us out of field goal range. I'm starting to think some people have their heels dug in so far on the mask issue, on BOTH sides, that now that it's about time to get rid of them, now we have the next reason not to.

I have not and will not fight the mask until I get the vaccine. And as I said, that's even though I don't have 100% confidence in them. Hell, my confidence in them is in the 50-60% range, which I concede is better than nothing. But if I don't have the virus, and after I get vaccinated so I won't get the virus, I don't need a mask and you don't need me to have one, either. If you want me to wear one I don't need for either you nor me just because you're scared, then I don't need a mask. You just need to stay the fuck home.

No comments:

Post a Comment