Total Pageviews

Friday, July 3, 2020

7/3/2020 On Vigilance, Sensationalization, Morons in Alabama

After my trip to NY for Uncle Frank's funeral, I put myself into a 14 day lockdown. Other than my wife, I've had absolutely minimum contact with any and all other persons. I was nervous about the flights to and from Albany, as there were a lot of passengers on my flights who seemed pretty casual about CCP Virus concerns. My flight up was on the 18th. Don't you know the same flight a week later, the 25th, at least 3 passengers have come down with the virus. My caution was well founded. Even at our camping shakedown cruise campsite this week, we checked in and out by phone and stayed away from the pool, from other campers, and the camp office, etc.
 

On a related note, in the interest of the same caution I referenced, last Thursday I went to get tested for the virus at one of the Florida Department of Health mobile sites, a walk up site in the parking lot of our Publix. They said 3-5 days for results, which would be delivered by telephone, and if none was received in 4 days they gave me an email address I should write to. Assuming they meant 'business days', I wrote the address yesterday after we got home. So far, still waiting.

Meanwhile, local news reports the number of cases is skyrocketing. I'm fine with reporting accurate information that will get the attention of people who are full on cavalier about this stuff. But one report did irk me. They reported an 11 year old died from the virus, 'the youngest victim of the virus in our state, yet'. But then within the report they told us that this unfortunate 11 year old had very serious ongoing medical problems. While I am trying to take the damned virus seriously and exercise caution and consideration, reports like that one, breathlessly pushing the big numbers, then fanning the flames about the youngest victim in our state yet just set off my bullshit detector.

While reports of people infected on the same flight I was on, albeit a week later get my attention and help to keep me focused and to remain vigilant, reports like the one on the news last night make me feel as if I'm being manipulated and misled. Can't the damned press just play it straight and give us the facts? The goddamned virus is sensational enough without television news bullshit.
 
Oh, and speaking of cavalier, I read about kids in Alabama having a party and trying to see who could catch the CCP Virus first. How goddamned stupid are these kids? Are their parents proud? Are they trying to kill grandpa and grandma? Morons.

Now, where in the hell are my damned test results?

No comments:

Post a Comment