Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

6/24/2020 White Privilege, Colorblindness, and Aunt Jemima

So, let me see if I read it right. In simplest terms, the definition of white privilege is that there is bias and racism against black people, and that bias and racism NOT affecting white people is white privilege. This may better be described as, "the white advantage is in not having to deal with racial bias and racism against black people". I'm fine with all of that.



Here's where I personally draw the line for myself: I try not to be biased and racist myself, and I have made a promise to myself not to tolerate it silently if I stumble upon it. What I will NOT do, as a white guy, is take ownership of and feel guilty for the biases and transgressions of other white people who are not me. That's why I rankle at the way "white privilege" is used so often. "You think this..." or "You think that because of your privilege." To me to say that is  not very different from assuming a black person is disadvantaged simply because they're black, or as Joe Biden said, "poor kids are as smart as white kids."

I heard an interesting discussion on a Dan Bongino Show podcast last weekend. He was talking to Kira Davis, Red State Editor-At-Large. She said one problem in white people dealing with black people is they (she's black I assume) will say things like, "When I see you I don't see a black man (or woman), I just see a person." Apparently we think we're being good and righteous by talking and being that way, colorblind, so to speak. But she said that's where we're missing it. Black people, she said (paraphrasing from my recollection of the conversation), do see themselves in or from the context of being a black person, not as being just the same as the next person. So it's NOT about being colorblind and treating everybody fairly regardless of color. It's about recognizing and even appreciating that person's blackness, and then treating them with the same dignity, respect, kindness, etc., that any person is due. But it's not about being colorblind. I hate to say it, but hearing that was a bit of an eye opener. It was for me at least.

I don't know if any of that really means anything, but I sure as hell am going to miss Aunt Jemima's pancakes AND her syrup. That seems to me to be fixing something that ain't a problem and does NOTHING to help me understand what IS the problem and what I can do about it. If that's just my "white privilege" coming to the surface again, I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment